[discuss] Has Linux Outgrown Evangelism?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Mon Sep 1 22:09:03 EDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, bill traynor wrote:

> http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&sid=53279#

  I read the first 11 pages of the study (will read rest later)  and
didn't see the reference to evangelism that Shane Schick focused his
article on.  I saw many other much more interesting things that would be
worthy of an article.

  http://www.e-cology.ca/canfloss/report/

  I also need to understand the meaning of the word in the context it is
being used.  Is it being used for any type of marketing or public
education by a non-vendor for an open/collaborative software project when
there is a product offering related functionality by some vendor?  Does it
exclude marketing and political lobbying by vendors?

  Does the use of the word include citizens who promote Linux/FLOSS/etc
for "political reasons" like support for free market competition, consumer
choice, accountability, protection of citizens' and creators' rights, etc?

  Does it exclude the many times where Microsoft spokespersons (or other
vendor representatives like those from the SCO group) who suggest things
such as a General Public License (the GNU one or otherwise) is un-American
or a cancer?

  I have heard so much over the years about how FLOSS marketing is too
much like the ramblings of a religious cult. I have personally noticed
much more of that cult-like attitude from proponents of "software
manufacturing".

  These "software manufacturing" fanatics are so afraid to even talk about
alternatives that they have used their considerable political and economic
influence to derail conversations about open collaborative models to
develop public goods in an organization who's mandate is to "to promoting
the use and protection of works of the human spirit."

http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/random-bits/2003-August/date.html
http://www.wipo.int/about-wipo/en/

  A better question might have been: has Microsoft and other Software
Manufacturing outgrown evangelism?

  Apparently not.

---
 Governance software that controls ICT, automates government policy, or
 electronically counts votes, shouldn't be bought any more than
 politicians should be bought.  -- http://www.flora.ca/russell/